12.18.2011

bittersweet

Today is the LDS mission farewell for my dear friend Andrew, who will be the first of my close man-friends from high school to leave.
It is also the homecoming of two older close man-friends, Sean and Ryan.

I am beyond excited to the two that I haven't seen for two years, but man... It's weird to think Andrew will be leaving. 
After him, more man-friends will start leaving in rapid succession.
Jake.
Parker.
Tad.
Walker.
Nathan.

...Spencer.

Best man-friend got his call last Wednesday.
Peru Arequipa Mission.
Reports to the MTC May 2nd.
Me?
Beyond excited for him.
He'll be a fantastic missionary.
He'll selflessly serve the Lord for two years.
Two years.

Two years, during which:
I will not receive calls at 3 in the morning.
I cannot text him to tell him about my day.
Snail mail advice will occur.
He swears I will get married.
I swear I'll stay unmarried, but if I get proposed to, I will politely explain the bet. Ha.
No listening to him play guitar in his car at midnight.
No surprise visits.
No singing hymns in the middle of the street (in the middle of the night).
No crying on his shoulder (figuratively or literally).
Two years, during which I will miss my best friend.

BUT.
All selfishness aside -
I am willing to share him with Arequipa.
The Lord needs him there.
As much as I hate to say it - 
Peru needs him more than I need him.
So?
I'll get lots of 
Stationery
Envelopes
Stamps
and
Patience.
And before I know it, the two years will be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips